Maggie May

Maggie May
Maggie May

Thursday, June 16, 2011

"Surf's Up" at Elijah Clark State Park

At dusk last night a thunderstorm quickly rolled in with a vengeance.  Thankfully Billy and I were able to pull our awning in before it was damaged.  Some of our fellow campers weren't so lucky.  The storm lasted what felt like forever, and we just kept a look out from our perch on the hill.  We found out later that most of our camping neighbors evacuated to the front of the park to get away from these trees.  The sound of a chain saw alarmed us at midnight, and we went out to discover that a huge pine tree had fallen across the road narrowly missing campers and vehicles.  After this cup of coffee the big "clean up" effort begins.

Caroline sent a text to me in the midst of the storm telling me that the transformer between her house and Sam's mom's house blew and caught bales of hay on fire.  The fire was licking dangerously close to her house as Caroline began gathering up items to evacuate.  Thankfully, it was Wednesday evening Prayer Meeting time at nearby Salem Baptist Church and most of the Volunteer Firemen were in attendance.  They did a miraculous job of controlling the fire and when I last spoke to Caroline the Forestry Dept. was out there trenching to contain the fire.   The grandsons were "wide open" last night with the late night activity at their house.

Monday I went in to Oglethorpe Co to visit with the grandsons.  The plan was for me to go with them to the swimming pool; however, I had to drive into Athens to shop for a new swim suit.   That was an all day affair, and I promised myself that this is the LAST swim suit I will ever buy.  I will relegate myself to the society of women who wear a pair of shorts and tee shirt to the beach/pool.  Caroline is "Music Director" for Vacation Bible School next week and I enjoyed watching Phil and Lincoln sing and dance to the music video that Caroline plans to use.  Our newest little Grand daughter is gaining weight, and we are so hoping that the Pediatrician on Friday gives her the okay to venture out in "public."

Must hastily close and get out to clean the damage.

No comments:

Post a Comment