Maggie May

Maggie May
Maggie May

Monday, September 27, 2010

A long day on the road

We got a late start out of Texas and traveled for eight hours. Mind you we stop for long breaks to eat and check the computer for a place to camp. We finally stopped at Camp Beauregard. It is a National Guard base in Pineville, LA. After a long conversation with the girl at the gate, she sent us a few blocks to speak with her supervisor. Seems they lock the campground and nobody had the key. The guy asked Billy why he didn't call for reservations and Billy replied that he had tried all day. The guy said "I guess that is why the phone rang all day. I did not bother to answer it."  So we drove on another hour or so and stopped at a rest stop. My State Lines application for the I Touch says that you can not sleep the night at rest stops in LA but the security guard said we were fine. Life is good today. 

I had to come in to this post 24 hours later to correct errors.  My laptop was not hooked up, and I was typing the post last night on my I Touch.  I forgot to mention that after the Camp Beauregard experience we saw an international symbol for a campground a few exits down the road.  We took the exit, remember driving a 747 and pulling a Heavy Duty pick up truck, and couldn't find the campground.  I ran into the closest "Stop and Rob" and asked the clerk where to find the campground.  She laughed and said that she thinks they put the symbol at the wrong exit because there was not a campground around.  Oh Well.

1 comment:

  1. Well that is a heck of a response from the National Guard guy... good grief...

    Yay for nice rest stop security guys!

    ReplyDelete